Monday, July 6, 2009

Tips for Life, 1 Week Facebook Hiatus, and Top Headlines of the Week

Hello all!

First, something I jotted down as I was considering the unfufilled and unhappy life of a few people around me -

Prepare to be wrong – no one is or can be right all of the time.
Invite love and friendship into your life – how fulfilled can a life lived alone really be?
Be honest, always – lies grow and spread, and are more infectious than any cancer.
Laugh as often as possible – it’s the spice of life, and everything can be made better for it.
Live every day to the fullest – we have lost yesterday, and are not promised tomorrow.
Pursue happiness – a life pursuing nothing but money, power, and privilege is hardly a life at all.
Give - A dollar, a smile, a blanket, a sandwich. Give whatever you can, because the person in need may someday be you.

I try to live by these ideas,and my life is more fulfilled and purposeful for it.

~~~

Facebook. What a gargantuan time-sucking void I have been pulled into. Honesty boxes, Farm town, instant chat, flair, etc, etc, have all conspired against me to leave me pathetically checking my page a dozen times a day, and for what? What purpose really lies in have a digital farm? A few witty flair? A half-assed conversation with someone who could very easily call? A few silly quizes who's answers have no affect on your life? What is it all for? How mych of my life am I wasting with it?

With all these questions, I have decided to take a step back. For 1 full week, I will not access my Facebook page - I will live by phone and e-mail for digital contact. If it goes well, the next thing I phase out will be my Myspace page, which I use only to contact my cousin and play Bloodlines. My eventual goal is to phase out all unneeded internet usage, except for e-mails, basic facebook use to contact friends and family easily, and research for school. No more myspace, no more dating sites, no more online gaming. I can't let the internet suck my life away, do this 1 week hiatus is my first blow against it. I will start tomorrow, and will be documenting how it goes, to help others that may be inspired to do the same.

~~~

Top headlines of this week:



First and foremost, the monorail crash at Disney world! The kid that died was my age and a university intern. And guess what? I applied for that job. I feel so badly for that guys family, and in the same breath, I am so happy I didn't pursue getting that internship further.

Another story that shows the lows to which American Society has come to - A trial is about start because of a Texas 'Fight Club,' where the caretakers of the disabled and developmentally challenged forced them to fight each other. This is completely disgusting, and I hope those responsible are punished to the fullest extent of the law!

This is just cool - Obama promised it, and here it is - the 'Craigslist' for Volunteering - this is a website that lists volunteering opportunities around the country - gotta love it! And you better bet, when Color Texarkana comes around next year, I'm totally gonna use this!

Whelp, that's all I've got for now, but I've been writing something out - I'll prolly post it later. Have a good one!

-SociallyInept

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to Facebook like crazy tonight? I didn't know about the craigslist for volunteers. That's pretty awesome. -Traci

SociallyInept07 said...

Nah, I really didn't. I was sitting in Books-A-Million until pretty late, and I always feel like a young punk facebooking in public places. Go figure. And yeah, maybe that site could be super-helpful in finding you some ushers?

-SociallyInept